Tuesday, September 13, 2011

IMAGES FROM MY EXHIBITION AT BATHURST REGIONAL ART GALLERY ON TILL 25th September 2011

The exhibition was all about Winter engaging with the balance of life, the reality and the ideal and poetry. My paintings are about the inner world of still life merging with the future of my Spring garden, inspired by the poet John Keats when looking upon the Winter landscape wrote "I can hear its colour" exquisite. My poetry is about the suspended feeling one has through winter trying to be comfortable in a cold landscape.

In the depths of Winter I finally learned that lay in me an unconquerable Summer..Albert Camus 
Painting is titled The Violets are coming up through the stones Oil on Canvas 2011

This is my poem that I wrote about Winter and have handset the letterpress myself and created this on our 80 year old Gordon Platen Press combined with my drawings. The type has come out like a grey mist, just legible like a passing thought.

The stubborn denseness of Winter is near

Obeying buttressed thoughts 
                                                                              of the beginning and the end

Unemployed plastic door,                 masked armour of fakery

Her tin eyelids are closing now

Cold metal letters,

suspended in the depths
                                       of the black dam

Circling resolve is caught in the clank
The joy of colour, a good tonic for Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment